Thursday, October 10, 2013

BLACK COW/WHITE COW, after Milton Avery


Cattle grazing at sunset in Norwood, Colorado
Top - my print Black Cow/White Cow, idea from photo,
inspiration from Milton Avery's drawing Black Goat, White Goat, 1958

For seven months during the time I worked on the twelve prints I lived in Spain. I am a perceptual artist who draws on the immediate visual environment for my paintings or in this case, prints. Since
I couldn't just drive over to Norwood to see/look at Lone Cone so I started working from my drawings (Lone Cone), then from photos I took before I left (View from Summet), and then I became free from a visual reference and could work from memory, or in this case a remembered favorite drawing of mine, Black Goat, White Goat by Milton Avery. I enjoyed the opportunity to be more playful with the idea or image I chose to make a print of.

No comments:

Post a Comment