Monday, April 23, 2012

LONE CONE AND MT. FUJI



Let me start by saying that I am not a geologist, but I am interested in learning about the land
and the subject I have decided to depict in this new project.
I know from my reading that Mt. Fuji is a volcanic mountain, actually an "active stratovolcano" that last erupted in the early 1700's.
Folks in Norwood tell me that Lone Cone is a "volcanic plug", which is a volcanic landform
created when magma hardens within a vent on an active volcano. So...not an actual volcano.
Visually the forms are similar. I think Lone Cone looks more mountainous and of course the
surrounding environment is very different, but they share that overall shape rising up into the sky.
Lone Cone starts rising up into the sky from Wright's Mesa at 7000 feet and reaches 12,614 feet
at the peak.
It is a solitary, symmetrical peak that is the western-most of the major peaks in the San Juan Mountains.
The fact that it stands apart from the rest of the mountains surrounding it makes it a local landmark for several miles around.
I have painted all around the area but not much in Norwood so I e-mailed several people I found
on the Internet and made a visit to the Ranger's office last week.
Next post I'll share some of the answers I received, some very strong points of view, some poetic.


No comments:

Post a Comment